Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Friends.

A friend had an opportunity this week to talk with young, impressionable college freshman and asked advice on what to share. It got me thinking, if I had the same opportunity, what would I say.

I think this particular group was preparing for ministry so the focus was a bit more specific and they were looking for what to share that would be a nugget of wisdom early on the journey.

What would you say to them?

If I look back at the best moments in my life, the best moments in ministry I find one common denominator.

Friends.

I've had friends all my life. I've even called a few different people "best".

That one thing is to me the make or break factor for life and ministry.

It starts who with you watch walk down the aisle towards you or who you walk down the aisle to. If that ain't right, I'm not sure the other two matter. I speak from the joy and blessing that I am blessed beyond measure on this one. And if you are too you know the truth of this one. It doesn't need any explanation. If you have a true partner in life, life is good.

It continues with those you serve with. Where you serve, what you do, how many people are a part of what you do, that means very, very little if you want to enjoy longevity. It's all about the team you serve with. My deepest friendships are with the people who I've done life with in the trenches in the past and those that I serve with now. Who you serve with means the most.

It concludes with those who speak truth to you that aren't in the first two categories. Those who don't walk the hallways of your work but know you, love you and get to speak into the "rest" of who you are. They might be your sounding board, your confidant or the one who asks you the tough questions. Without these friends, the ones who call your crap, push your comfort zone or hold up the mirror and force you to face what you see, I just don't see how you keep going.

So where does God land in all this? Glad you asked, He's the first and the last. He's the one who's always there and never leaves or forsakes you. Never let's you down and sustains you as only He can. But we weren't meant to walk this life alone in the flesh either. And sure, each of the 3 categories sometimes provides a portion of what the other groups do. Sometimes my wife calls my crap. Okay, often she calls me on my crap. Sometimes my coworkers ask me the tough questions and sometimes my other friends share in the joy of ministry with me.

But without them, I just don't know where I'd be.

So here's to friends. Real friends. Not the ones from fourth grade that I was convinced I'd always know. It's the ones I have served with. Laughed with. Wept with. Share my deepest thoughts and concerns with. Here's to all of us being that for others as well.

No comments: