Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Bible and the Oregon Ducks


It's true, I've not written in a while.

This thought has been bugging me for the past few days. I kept trying to figure out why I had nothing to say and then it hit me. I'd been reading virtually nothing. At least for me if I'm not putting anything in my head to force me to think, I seem to sink to a pretty mundane level.

To be fair, I've been reading a lot. Most of it had to do with the BCS game and all sorts of things about bloggers had to say, most of which ended up being so far away from the truth it is a shame they get paid to write.

The problem for me is the longer I don't write, the harder it is to start writing again. Hence why there is a gap on this blog of a few years where it seems I had nothing to say. So though this post might not inspire you to stick with your New Year's Resolution, it is for me a reentry into posting.

So like I said, I've been reading but not any of the books I said I'd conquer over Christmas. In the end, most of my reading has been the mental equivalent of cotton candy. It looks good, is pretty enjoyable to devour but when I'm done I've got nothing but a sugar high and some junk in my teeth.

So this week I've been landing in a chapter of the Psalms that I can't seem to wrap my head around. I guess if we were to keep things in the realm of food, it would be the equivalent of a Snickers bar. It's chewy, its good and it keeps me running for a while. To be honest, I don't understand a lot of it but there is one verse in particular that I really like. The version I'm using is the ESV because, well, that's what my youversion was last set to. So here goes, Psalm 26:3

3For your steadfast love is before my eyes,
and I walk in your faithfulness.

The whole chapter is pretty nifty. I'd say it's a worthy read but that one particular verse has me going right now.

Maybe its the simple but profound truth it speaks of that I like. In the midst of way too much hype about a game, uniform colors and who's dad did or didn't get money under the table, it's a reminder to me.

If you were to answer how that verse is true for you, what would you say?

I know my answer and part of it is that terrific little boy who sat with with us big boys and watched the game. The same one who shed some tears as that kicked sailed through the uprights to crush a dream. The same one who came downstairs this morning covered head to toe with Ducks stuff ready to talk about next year.

Not a bad reminder that I'm blessed. Not a bad example of moving on and moving forward and realizing that in the midst of all things each day is ripe with new hope.

So there you go. It's me, back. And no, God doesn't give the slightest rip about the BCS. He wasn't on either teams side and I don't think Oregon makes my life any better, richer or hopeful. But its fun to follow, its fun to share that passion with my family and its best to have the daily reminder that God is faithful, that he loves me and I ought to stop reading blogs long enough to realize it. Unlike cotton candy, that kind of thing can really stick with you.

No comments: