Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Incomplete thoughts on poverty, part 2

This thought is so incomplete, it is actually 3 peoples thoughts put together at one time. What you or I do with them is up to us now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do." -Mark Twain

"The opposite of love is not hatred; it is indifference. When we have learned indifference, when we are really skilled and determined at the business of ignoring others, of putting our own well-being, our own options first--of thrusting our own ego into life, as the ideal form of life itself--we may be quite certain that at that point, life has become hell. We need be no more thoroughly damned."
--Daniel Berrigan

"Strangely enough, the havoc wreaked by indifference may be even 'greater than that brought by felt, lived, practiced hatred.'" --Miroslav Volf

The difference between a kind act and determined effort to solve a problem through action is becoming bigger to me every day. At least for me I am more and more convicted by the fact that I am aware of a lot of things that bother me, but I've found a way to file them in some part of my brain that isn't usually associated with action. Could it be that my inaction is actually worse than joining in with the practices I hate?

No comments: