Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Rob Bell


Ever since the Nooma's came out (thanks for the tip Schaff) I've been facinated by Rob Bell. A little quirky, sometimes controversial but always engaging and challenging. For the record I'm a bigger fan of Sex God than Velvet Elvis though both are great.

Tuesday night thanks to the generosity of the Mo, he and I had the opportunity to drive up to Kansas City and check out Bell's new speaking tour, The God's Aren't Angry. Now to be fair, I'm sure I had pretty high expectations but I came away from the evening thinking it was one of the most enjoyable things I'd seen and with a sense of encouragement. Mo says this one wasn't as academic as his first tour, Everything is Spiritual, but great nonetheless. Bell speaks for 1 hour and 45 minutes straight and the time flies the way it does during a good movie or on date night with your wife.

Some general observations and reflections:
*Rob Bell is an amazing communicator. He makes it memorable both in an entertaining way and in such a way that you can replay in your mind the first 15 minutes almost by word even after the whole journey.
*I think Rob weighs about 85 lbs.
*The last 20 minutes are worth the price of admission.
*I was suprised by the crowd that was there, it wasn't what I expected. It also wasn't very interactive with him. They laughed at the jokes and really tracked with him but I half expected more random,spontaneous applause at times.
*I came away with so much to chew on but also encouraged in my faith.
*Rob became one of us and shaved the head. Bald is truly beautiful.

So check if he's coming to a city near you and if so and its not sold out, go check it out. If you don't like it, well, let's worry about that later.

Oh, and if you see me in the next few weeks and I like you, I need to tell you about dinner.

1 comment:

sara said...

I'm a fan too. I saw his Nooma videos a while back and was seriously impressed. Then, last summer I was on vacation in Michigan with some friends and we went to the church where he preaches for Sunday services. Yep, he was amazing. Although I was kind of bummed when we found out he was "co-preaching" that morning with another guy. So every other 20 minutes that morning I was fascinated by what he had to say. :) And you're right...he's like 7 ft tall and weighs less than 100 lbs!! Unbelievable. I'm glad you had the opp to see him.