Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

On why I hate hybrids


Maybe it's just me but I'm growing a little tired of all this hybrid talk. I know, I'm supposed to be a treehugger and all so how can I not love these little electric gizmos?

Well to be fair, I'm not against the car. In fact I've never driven one. I had the chance once when renting a car in Denver but they told me I had to go through a brief training period on how to use it. Uh, no thanks. I know how to drive and when I'm in town to get to work, the last thing I want to do is hang out at Enterprise getting my "how to drive a hybrid" certification. If that's what it takes to rent one of those things, give me the SUV. And not one of those stupid Hybrid SUV's. That's just ridiculous, that's like a veggie burger. Oh wait, nevermind, I love those things--why would anyone ever eat beef?

So I have some serious questions about hybrids. I will freely admit I am skeptical of them and their "good" they supposedly do. Plus I don't think my electric bill could accomodate one. But in the end if you want to drive a Prius, go for it.

The hybrid I'm getting tired of is the term. It seems like everywhere I turn now, hybrid is the new term for compromise between two terms or ideas that can't mesh. It sounds a little like this.

"I like both ideas, so what about a hybrid where we have a little of both." Sounds great. Seriously, it sounds like a great idea. Here's the thing, most of the time, when two people can't agree its because their ideas are different. Sure, meshing them might make it dynamic. Or it might make it a hot mess. Two ideas crammed into one implementation is not always the way to success.

Now to be fair, I love the idea of compromise. I'm all about keeping the peace in meetings and everyone leaving feeling warm and fuzzy. It's just that sometimes that's not an option.

In my opinion, and that's entirely what this is, its our desire to create hybrids that's gotten us in so much trouble. It seems as though we lack the intestinal fortitude to stand by a decision so we try to make a groupthink collective that ends up looking like a bad stew.

In the end, all I'm saying is that there is a time for a combination of ideas such as the grilledcheeseburger. But there are other times where let's just do one or the other and not try to mesh things. I guess I like the old Revelation idea of being hot or cold because lukewarm ain't that great.

So here's to having an idea and sticking with it, maybe even fighting for it because to compromise it might just make it lame.

No comments: