Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hope This Isn’t Cheesy

Currently Listening: Playlist entitled "office"--Song currently playing: Stars by DCB

My recent reading has got me to thinking. That’s usually a good thing and often dangerous. Many times it leads to boring posts on the blog. Consider yourself warned.

Here at the CIY offices I have the good fortune of not one but two windows that look out into the enchanted forest. To be fair one looks across at the administration wing and the other, which sits directly in front of me looks into the forest. It’s a pretty fascinating view, usually at least once a day I see some sort of wildlife, such as the turkeys that are digging below my window.

As we are all aware, there has been a lot of snow and ice here in Joplin (and the Midwest) and since the trees have lost their leaves, we can see quite a ways into the forest. On a “good” day you can almost see OCC. I digress. Since the ground of the forest is white and the background has more depth than normal, I’ve been noticing a lot more wildlife. Tons of deer and turkeys, a cat, squirrels and birds. It’s quite fun to sit here so close and watch them do their thing (walk around; look for food, nothing perverted). It has had me wondering how much happens say within 150 feet of me on a daily basis that I don’t see because it is so camouflaged.

And then I started thinking about Christians.

Everything I’ve been reading. No, everything I know about my own life is that we blend in much too well. We look so much like our surroundings that we move around, even coming close to those different than us and we never catch their eyes. Sometimes we venture out of the forest and they can’t help but notice us. But usually, we go unnoticed.

So when are the moments when we don’t blend in? When are the times when people see movement, even if it is out of the corner of their eye and they stop and watch out of interest and even holy awe? I know we don’t do the right thing so people will notice but since people are watching (not as much as we’d like to think they are) shouldn’t we be motivated to do the right thing. And since God always sees…

So maybe we (church) need to quit only coming out of the forest when we want to and doing special things so people can’t help but notice. Maybe we should be more visible on an everyday, normal basis. The thing I’m realizing is it’s still just as eye catching and a lot more powerful. Imagine it, everyday normal life drawing attention to the One who deserves it. That would be like Biblical or something.

1 comment:

Ryan Claborn said...

Glad to hear you've got time to watch the wildlife. :)

Seriously, great points. I initially thought you were going to take it a different direction - that of wondering what goes on around us daily that we miss. Such as, what God is doing all around us that we're too spiritually dull to notice. I know I find myself concerned that I'm missing what He is doing and what He would have me do because I get too busy to see what is right in front of me (something about missing the forest for the trees).