Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Yes I Love Technology

I have this theory that next time I move--about 50 years from now-- I'm going to live near a hotel so I can have free wireless internet in my house. I'm sure that moving and living by a hotel would be totally worth it if I could sit on my couch and surf the net.

Last weekend I had "one of those days" with technology. As most know I sold my soul to Satan and bought a big screen TV. It is amazing though my lovely wife couldn't care less about the thing. I do confess there are nights when I must pull myself away and be social with the family simply because the power of the thing is overwhelming. I find myself saying things like "Carter, don't you want to watch another basketball game with Daddy? This is a big matchup, I don't know if Southeast Missouri Southern State College of the Midwest University can upset their hated rivals, those one guys from Oklahoma something."

Anyway, last week our VCR broke. Right now because of how the house is wired I have to run the satellite through a VCR which is fine. However the VCR broke and it was the only way to run signal into the TV. It was the weekend of USC v UCLA and Texas v Colorado (sort of) etc. So I'm frantic to fix this thing and we decide that we'll replace the VCR with a new DVD player that can do the same thing. I drive into town (15-18 minutes one way on a Saturday) to Best Buy and after being assured by their experts that this DVD player will do what I want drive home with a smile and visions of S-Video bouncing in my head.

Turns out it doesn't work.

Back to Best Buy (15-18 minutes one way..you get the idea) and I find a different expert, this time a male, why I listened to a female the first time still mystifies me. He assures me this new doohickey for only $30 will do what I want. I drive home with a smaller smile and more realistic visions of S-Video bobbing in my head.

Turns out it doesn't work.

So I find out that a DVD player can't do what I want so I must find a new VCR. Turns out those are almost extinct. Who wants a VCR? Well, I guess I do. I finally locate one and drive back into town (yeah) to get it. Pull into the parking lot and as I'm walking into the store realize I've left my wallet...at the house. I drive home with no smile whatsoever and a mind wondering where my old school antanae might be.

Back at the house I walk out to the garage and pull the VCR out of the garbage to try and get Carter's movie that was stuck in it when it died out. I take it out and just for poops and giggles go hook it back up.

Turns out it works.

No comments: