Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What if, Day 2

So I'm reading last night and I come across this quote about Nouwen:
"Hospitality is not to change people, but to offer them space where change can take place."
I love this quote. The biggest reason why is because it eliminates our ability to be awesome. It takes the power out of our hands and helps us realize that we exist for each other. It makes me realize that I'm blessed when I serve and I'm blessed by others when I serve and it helps explain why I usually walk away from these things "getting more than I gave".

"Ministry is never accomplished in detachment from community; ministry is always done within its context. We do ministry in community together as a body since community is not only a shared reality but also a shared burden that requires us to act together as one."

So, until we see what we do as a part of what we do, we are missing the point. Until we quit calling others our "projects" and until we quit thinking we are bringing great things to others, I still say we are doing more harm than good.

No comments: