Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Friday, October 29, 2010

What if, Day 5


Currently Listening to: Beautiful Things by Gungor

"When we allow ourselves to be disarmed, we become both vulnerable and strong. The only weapons then at our disposal are those of the Spirit. We choose the way of Jesus, laying aside all the earthly resources that give us power--in order to be present to those we love." Friendship at the Margins

I don't remember who said it but it hits me every time I think about it. They were talking about how we interact with other people and they said that when we give up our power and choose to serve another, we open ourselves up to hurt, injury and the opportunity to be taken advantage of.

I didn't and still don't really like that idea.

I mean, I like what it's saying but getting offended or taken advantage of is not exactly my idea of a good time.

I guess because of this I've chosen more often to do nice things in a way that keep me safer. I'll be happy to serve but only if it has some level of comfort in it. That in itself is why short term service is way more popular than long-term stuff. It's probably another reason why this generation loves missional work that is cause driven rather than people oriented. I'd rather write a check and be done with it than spend hours working with a kiddo in my area that has some of the same needs. I'm not necessarily saying that stuff is bad but I'm guilty of knowing deep down its easier to write a check then give up my time.

When I really think about it though, it means I have to turn my back on Jesus. Or at the very least I have to take a second and tear Philippians 2 out of my Bible. And I'm not comfortable doing that.

So what do I do? What do I do to start modeling and teaching my kids a healthier way. What conversations could I have had with my parents if they'd have let me walk in the homeless shelter when we gave donations instead of leaving me in the car because it was too dangerous? What if I had the opportunity as a kid to realize that baking a few pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving for the Rescue Mission was at its best not much.

So here's to getting hurt. Here's to getting taken advantage of. Here's to being misunderstood by those that call themselves religious and here's to pursuing something that doesn't make sense. It worked out alright for Jesus and I have this nagging sense he's asking me to consider the same.

No comments: