Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Weekend

Oh what a weekend.

Decided its time to get cranking on our yard since it has nothing in it and their building houses around us. The neighborhood was alive, people spending money they don't have at Lowe's, Home Depot and the like. Our projects ended up being more than we anticipated (finacially and body pain wise) so I sit with bruises and sore muscles I didn't know I had or better yet have never used. Things are progressing nicely and here are the highlights.

*Working in the yard with my lovely wife while the manchild rode his bike around and around. Meanwhile the worthless dog worked on his tan.
*Teaching the manchild to hammer as we put stakes in the ground to mark out the new area.
*Trying to help him understand that we were going to have a swing set and slide in his yard to play with whenever.
*Working so much Saturday that I felt 65 years old on Sunday. Still having more work to do.
*Watching that little fellas face the first time he climbed the steps to HIS slide and went down. Made all the work worth it.
*Tucking him in to bed last night and him telling me all about his new playground.
*Sitting watching the end of the Cubs-Cardinals game (a NOT highlight) and listening to him sing Lord Prepare Me till he fell asleep.

I'm quite certain this little fella is an amazing gift. I'm sure I knew it before but good grief is he a challenging/wonderful/patience testing/life fulfilling little guy. You should hear some of the things he says, see some of his looks (he learned how to cross his eyes yesterday and looked positiviely ridiculous) and watch him figure out this world he's in.

The last couple days we've been out working and we've been able to watch as our little man learns how to talk to the neighbor kids and how he watches them ride their big bikes and the amazing things he says to them when the come up. He's so innocent and unaware or the right things to say or the right way to approach them so yesterday a kid came by and saw that we were putting together a swing set. "My daddy build it for me". He said. Seriously, a person could run for weeks off things like that. So much of the credit for who he is goes to that amazing mommy of his, she has him every day and so much of her greatness rubs off on him. I'd say he and I are pretty lucky fellas.

So here's to our fella sliding till his pants wear out and to us finally feeling like our backyard isn't an empty field. Now to address all the flower beds....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trees are only good to cut down!

JK

Kristy said...

Man, first paragraph got me... I have become one of those people you talk about... spending money I don't have at Lowe's. Chad has boycotted the Depot... Lowes gets about 85% of my income. But the yard is coming along quite nicely...