Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Monday, January 23, 2006

No More Xbox

Seems I wasn't the only one to lose an electronic device close to my heart this weekend. I join Ret in a moment of sorrow over something dear to us.

So Friday night I sit down to enjoy a few moments/hours of Xbox. Midway through a riveting baseball game which I'm losing my Xbox first locks up, then makes crazy noises, then sounds more demon possessed than Emily Rose. It finally makes a couple crackle noises and locks. I play with it, unplug it, try to restart it and finally realize its dead. Gone. Finito. With my game inside. So after the successful surgery to remove the game I am now without a gaming system for the first time in forever. I know, I'm 29 and I should grow up.

What used to be an excuse to hang out with kids has been quite a past time for me. A great way to relax--except when I'm losing or can't pass a particular level, a way to bond with my son--so what if he's not quite 3 and only wants to "push the geen button daddy"? I will not be getting a new one anytime soon. We have car insurance and bills and food to buy. I'm going to be traveling a lot anyway. But someday.

Last night Carter was asleep, Ang was watching one of her shows and I was unaware that Kobe was going for 81. And all I wanted to do was play Xbox. I settled for reading a book. It was boring.

So, so long "to snow me is to love me"--you were a thorn in my side. And so long Xbox, you were a great ministry tool. Here's to a better use of my time...any bets on how long till I get a new one? (talk with my wife first!!!) And beware, you're electronics may be next.

4 comments:

ret said...

Saddened to hear of your loss. In the words of our newly departed snowball that irritated you so: "Chill out!!"

But be honest: you miss me throwing that into your office. I know you do.

Ryan said...

Honestly, this may have been a blessing... now you can upgrade to the 360... I hear it will even make you a sandwich!

Angie said...

Ryan.... you made me realize that I fell for it!! I really did believe him that the whole thing just kinda blew up! Yeah right,I was not home to know for sure that if really blew up... I bet Gil was thinking 360 the entire time he was hitting the xbox with his baseball bat..... Hmmm Gil??? am I right?!?!

Unknown said...

There were no alterior motives. I have never mentioned 360. It is much to expensive. I just can't bring myself to buy something that costs more than 70% of the world makes in a year. And I didn't use a baseball bat, just a hammer.