Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Sarcasm

I think sarcasm should be a spiritual gift. It is truly brilliant. Anyway, to hold us all over until tomorrow night when North Carolina gets Idolized by Simon here's a couple little sports tidbits that made me laugh...much too loud for the office and got me a couple questions. Not that I read sports stuff at work....but "a friend" sent them to me. And...anyway:

I'm wondering whether Bears head coach Lovie Smith called his defensive coordinator, Ron Rivera, at any point during yesterday's Seahawks-Panthers game.
"Hey, Ron. It's Lovie. You watching this?"
"Yep. It's really interesting."
"I know. Looks like the Seahawks decided to put their best cornerback on Steve Smith instead of their worst one like we did. Strange approach, but it seems to be working."
"Yeah, I noticed. Weird. And not only that, but sometimes they're using double or even triple coverage on him. I don't know how they ever conceived of such a wild concept as that, but hats off to them. I guess sometimes even the craziest ideas end up panning out."
"Too bad we didn't think of that, huh?"
"Yeah, too bad."
"Well, I guess I'll get going. Talk to you later."
"OK. I love you, Lovie."
"Uh ... OK, Ron. I really have to go now. Bye."

and number 2
The Seahawks are to be commended. For winning the NFC championship, yes, but even more because they didn't give Mike Holmgren a Gatorade shower at the end of the game. I'm hopeful this will put a stop to the played-out NFL tradition of dousing the head coach after each and every remotely meaningful victory. But if it does continue, there should at least be some consistency with it. Win a big game? Fine, dump a cooler of water on your coach. But if you lose, the coach should get tasered or hit in the back with a metal chair or at the very least have toilet water dumped on him. Not only would it provide some consistency to the practice and raise TV ratings, but more importantly it would increase the level of coaching in the NFL -- because no head coach would want to risk the ceremonial end-of-game tasering.

1 comment:

Doug & Brittany said...

Gil,
As a fan at the Bears vs. Steve Smith game, I tried to get the attention of Lovie. Even with Mike Ditka look-alike, nothing could be said to make sense of why the Bears sucked that day. Hope you are doing well.

Doug