Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

It's Worth The Weight

Home for a couple days. Back from St. Louis. Had a very productive week, found some incredible projects and once again recieved the great reminders of why I so believe in this ministry. On a lighter note our registration numbers are not good. I find myself fighting the urge to simply pray about it because at times my motivation is not right and my request is more of a vending machine want and I refuse to be that shortsighted, at least when I can help it. Katrina needs to be cleaned up and I'm totally for that. It has hurt what we do but its not about us so I shut up about all that.

I confess I don't feel that great today. These set up trips are hard because we spend most of our time sitting in meetings or eating incredible food and then sitting in meetings. I've begun to pack for trips with clothes that fit at the beginning and then some of my more "comfortable" stuff for the end of the trip when I feel bloated and stuffed like a bratwurst.

We ate at a place in St. Louis called the white barn. I would recommend it except that everytime I even think about it my entire digestive system begins its revolt. I've learned a valuable lesson that it's not always wisest to eat what the locals do, especially if their body size is roughly double yours. We ate this double cheese burger which after the fact I found out consists of over 1lb of beef, on each burger. It was loaded with cheese and grease and mayo to the point that the 3 buns were soggy and actually falling off due to the damage they were taking from all the fat. I of course fought through because I had to and followed them up with some cheese sticks (again, don't follow the lead of the locals). About half way through the experience I could actually feel my heart downshift to account for the fact that my blood now had the consistency of motor oil. I'm quite certain my cholestorol was/is in a place it shouldn't be. It wasn't even good, it just hurt.

I managed to keep that down and somehow found myself 4 hours later at Penn Station--one of my favorite places on earth--staring down dinner and another meeting. I've been home for about 18 hours and eaten nothing. At this point I'm wondering if I'll actually feel hunger again in this lifetime. I'm thinking I may need to have them reorder all my work items in a larger size to account for my clogged arteries and enlarged heart.

Oh, we also tried Ted Drewes which I hear is a legend in St. Louis. It was amazing. As amazing as adding frozen custard to the aforementioned meals could be. We were laughing on the way home because none of us were planning to eat all weekend since we load up again Monday for another 5 days on the road. Be still my heart. Actually, don't be still. Find someway to push through.

Other Random Thoughts:
It was good to see, think about and talk with a number of old friends this week. God has blessed me richly.
I am grateful that America voted off Lisa last night. Bucky will get his as well. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to join the church of Mandisa.
The final 4 is this weekend. Who's playing? The only upside of the thing is this single fact for the Pac 10--you know, the conference everybody bags on and yet seems to always be in play for national championships that matter. This final 4 I'm looking and I see no one from: Big East, Big 10, Big 12, ACC. Enough said.

I hear a vicious rumor that Joey Harrington may become a KC Chief. That sucks. Real bad. Real, real, real, real bad.

Okay, I must go. Must drink more water. Oh and the title to this here post? That's the slogan on the sign at the White Barn--I should have known....

No comments: