Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

5 Posts You HAVE GOT TO READ

Okay, so if you still are crazy enough to check this blog thinking I might actually write something, I'm about to drop 5 posts in the next, um, let's say 2 weeks on the top 5 of 5 things that are important to me. Before we begin let me make a statement, if you don't own an Ellery album yet, preferably the live disc, I'm not sure we can still be friends. They will influence my top 5 in just a minute. Without further ado, here's list number 1.

My Top 5 Favorite Cities in America

5. Johnson City, Tennessee
This one was the toughest ironically. I thought about Chicago, but I haven't been there enough. I thought about Dallas but that was too safe. I'm going with Johnson City, Tennessee. What?! Are you kidding? Nope. I love it there. I am a sucker for the mountains, for the beauty of that part of the country and for the food. Seriously, if I lived there I'd weight 400 lbs. Cootie Browns, Poor Richards (and the sweet tea Ryan), Bucs Pizza, the Japanese Steakhouse, Zaxby's Chicken and many others. Milligan has a beautiful campus, I just dig the place. Like it or not, Tennessee made the top 5.

4. Memphis, Tennessee
This is starting to sound like a Know Sweat tour commercial. But its not. Memphis has this vibe that really connects with me. It is by far my favorite Know Sweat city (maybe this is a commercial). Again, I'm a big fan of the food, Celtic Crossing, Lenny's Subs, Interstate BBQ, Central BBQ, Corky's BBQ, they've got a Pei Wei. I think it is Beale Street, Community Bible Church, the city. I don't know, it is just such an amazing place. I really like the history and fell fo the city too. Bonus, I'm headed there this weekend.

3. Cincinnati, Ohio
Okay, this is ridiculous. Here's what I've learned about myself. I'm a big city guy but I dig the big city that isn't so huge that its overwhelming. I'm not an LA or NY guy. I'm not even a Chicago guy like that. I like a town that's got a ton of culture but isn't so huge that you can't really define it. Cincinnati wasn't on my list until after last summer. I guess if you spend 5 weeks anywhere you are bound to like it to some extent. I have to thank my boy Matt Coghill for part of my love of the city. I'm a big fan of places where you have to know the city to know the good places. I don't like tourist traps, I like authentic vibe. Cincy has that. The river feel connects with my childhood, the food is amazing ( you are suprised by this?). Camp Washington Chili, Currito, Penn Station, First Watch are all a staple when I'm there. I love the downtown, all the shops, the Scottish Pub are great as well. I'm a little shocked to admit I like Reds games too. Kentucky ads a bonus to Cincy since my favorite view of the city (other than the one from my dorm room at CCU last year) is the one from the balcony of Starbucks at Newport on the Levee. Call me untrue to my West Coast roots but I love this town.

2. Denver, Colorado
If I could live anywhere (money obviously being no object) it would be Denver. I loved our time there culture wise. When you factor in Longmont, Boulder, Fort Collins and other surrounding areas, its amazing. Denver isn't too huge but has such a vibe that I love. Plus you factor in the mountains, the perfect climate, the accesability and the people and its easily number 2. Plus Know Sweat isn't there (until 2009, you should come). Food wise, I'm giving a shoutout to Wingman, the finest wings on earth. The 15th street mall is amazing, Flatirons is great, Rockies games in right field watching a game and a sunset over the Rockies is all but untouchable this side of heaven.

1. Portland, Oregon
Okay, so I grew up there. Know Sweat isn't there (until 2009, you should really come check it out). Yes, it is my hometown and maybe that is why but it is the one place on earth where I feel truly at home. I love the people, the city, the vibe, the food, the weather (if you want to believe it rains there all the time, go ahead). It is the perfect example of the small big town. Downtown is the best in America. The views are insane, you can see so many great peaks from there. Growing up in the city taught me it was so accesible, and so clean. I love the fact that last fall when I wanted to watch the Oregon football game the best party was in a coffee shop. I love the climate, the fact that you are within 2 hours of skiing, the ocean, amazing hiking and the desert. Oh, and you're just a few hours from Mecca aka Autzen Stadium in Eugene. Sometimes I find it funny that God's never put a burden on my heart to go back there to live since I love it so much. Nonetheless, its easily number 1.


Okay, there you go. I could have said more but words are expensive. Check back for my other 4 lists. The next list: the 5 bands or artists I couldn't live without.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I had to check out the blog since you advertised that you were writing on it. Yours is pretty deep compared to ours. Don't check ours out unless you want to hear about a day in the life of a 4year old or newborn or see pictures of our kids. :-)

Anonymous said...

I dont know if you could have said "vibe" any more...u hippy...I kinda like your hippy vibe...

bford said...

I'm pretty sure you mean the 16th street mall on the denver front. forgetting it probably means you should come back here some time and chill.