Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sell Your Soul To Santa

I saw that on a bridge today on my tour of Cincinnati. Week 2 is underway and it is going awesome. The groups are doing some amazing work and I was able to have some conversations that have me thinking.

My real reason for the post though is to let you know of my book of the year. This weekend I took saturday morning and finally met a new friend, In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day.

Seriously, I've read Bell, Tozer, McManus, all them types and this book met me in an amazing way. I'd give you some quotes but basically I'd say everything between the first sentence and the last is worth your time. And you know me, I like books, but I love this one.

I share with you only one quote that dovetails so nicely with our theme for this summer of Know Sweat:

"Seeing and seizing opportunities is an overlooked and underappreciated dimension of spiritual maturity. Every day is filled with countless God-ordained opportunities. Not a day goes by that we don't have an opportunity to love, an opportunity to serve, an opportunity to give, or an opportunity to learn.......Most of us want our opportunities nicely packaged and presented to us as a gift we simply have to unwrap. We want our lions stuffed or caged or cooked medium well and served on a silver platter. But opportunities typically present themselves at the most inopportune time in the most inopportune place.....Now let me take some pressure off. You don't have to manufacture opportunities. In fact, you can't manufacture them. That's part of God's portfolio. He is preparing good works in advance."

And finally:
"Embrace relational uncertainty, It's called romance. Embrace spiritual uncertainty. It's called mystery. Embrace occupational uncertainty. It's called destiny. Embrace emotional uncertainty. It's called joy. Embrace intellectual uncertainty. It's called revelation.

May your day be amazing. May you get off your butt and change the world you are a part of. There are over 175 students, most of them middle schoolers, who are doing just that this week. They showed up to step into a God-ordained moment. After all, as I heard at church Sunday, "we proclaim the God who continues to show up."

Blessings.

2 comments:

bford said...

im going to have to find said book there Gil. an i'm coming to memphis and you can't stop me. well i guess you could, but it'd be kind of a downer overall. i'll talk to ya soon. BFord

ret said...

how's that book coming...