Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Randoms

I've been up since 4 AM so if this doesn't make sense it's probably you.

Album Currently Playing: Possibilites by Herbie Hancock

Today its Lexington, Kentucky. I thought of some friends, the few I know who actually like Kentucky and said a prayer for them as I arrived. Maybe this year the hoops team won't implode again.

We're on a church tour, interviewing some guys we have a good relationship with, hoping to understand youth ministry and specifically middle school students better by the end. In the meantime its raining and as we all know, that makes me happy.

General reflection on Lexington--beautiful and very relaxed.

So Sunday I watched the world hamburger eating contest. Kobayashi was in it. You know, the dude who is the current hot dog and brat eating champion.The dude who it seems can eat his body weight in food. On Sunday he was looking to pull off the "triple crown".

The triple crown is usually reserved for actual accomplishments such as in horse racing (seems more interesting since I'm in Kentucky), baseball and is an actually amazing accomplishment. In eating, well, its not so amazing and frightening.

The shindig is put on by Krystals. They are the awful version of the White Castle burger. White Castle is sacred--reserved in the hall of fame of food with things like Slurpees, Red Vines and Oreos. I digress. Anyway, the fact you are eating belly busters--something the average person can barely keepa half dozen from immedately fast tracking through their intestinal system--is disturbing enough.

The give them 8 minutes to eat. They don't actually eat them--the dunk them in I think its lemonade that is the beverage of choice right now, and then they pretty much inhale the soggy mess of fat, sugar and whatever the patties are made of.

Kobayashi pulled off the ever elusive triple crown by beating a new college student who they are predicting could be his big rival. Kobster at 97 of them in 8 minutes.

Yes folks, 97. I saw it on ESPN. The fact that I watched this over the Chiefs game speaks to both my boredom and also my hatred for the Chiefs.
97 of anything in 8 minutes is dangerous. 97 greasy, liquid soaked Krystal burgers should be illegal.

It makes me wonder what we're actually capable of. I know people who are afraid to make phone calls, to confront an issue, to have the hard conversation-they say it is physcially impossible or will make them sick. If Kobayashi can inhale 97 nuggets of death you can do what you need to.

I've been kicking my own tail on being a wimp at times. I think I might find a pic of Kobayashi to serve as my inspiration. I'm off to eat dinner--probably just one of something.

PS:
Here's the actual website for the International Federation for Competitive Eating with the article. Enjoy--preferably a significant time before you will attempt to eat.

http://www.ifoce.com/

No comments: