Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Where Did That Extra Hour of Sleep Go?

Album Currently Listening to: Possibilities by Herbie Hancock

The man child is a missionary.

A couple weeks ago I was on my trip to the chosen land of Colorado when Ang called with a funny story. Turns out I’d burned them a CD of their favorite music—it’s a mix of any number of things including some of Ang’s favorite worship stuff. Well, Carter man fell in love with the music, particularly with I am Free which is quite the catchy tune. The version we have is from Desperation Band which includes the typical long periods of worship leader talking points where they slow the song down and the dude supposedly makes the worship moment better.

Just about every morning my lovely wife and child and child to be head into the Y for a time of working out and for Carter a time to interact with other kids. I guess they have a guitar in the room and so at one point he grabs the guitar and begins to herd all the kids together. He begins to tell them that they are going to sing I am Free. In just a minute, we’re going to bring this song back up he says. We are going to sing about how God has set us free, we are going to sing with abandon and lift it up to Him, here we go.

One of the ladies in the Y goes to church and so she knew what he was doing and also what song he was referring to. I guess all the other little tikes stood there unsure what the heck had just hit them (don’t we all feel that way about worship leaders sometimes!!). So while Ang works out, my boy is beginning his first church plant.

Last night we were driving home from dinner and the all important trip to WalMart. Carter began the conversation with “Hey mom…”. A long, long pause followed. “John plays the drums, Jeff plays the drums and Moe plays the drums.” He had connected that our favorite drummer Mr. Mitchell, Jeff from the Wiggles and Moe from the Doodlebops all play the drums. Granted, that’s less that impressive company for our boy John but the connection was pretty good for the little fella and the impact a cool one for me.

I’ve joked many times that when I come back I want to be reincarnated as a worship leader. Maybe I won’t have to wait that long. For all their artistic quirks and hilarious personalities, the worship folks I’ve been blessed to work with have always been some of my favorite people on staff. They continue to be the people I have the best connections with after I move. It would be an honor for Carter to be “one of them.”

And in the meantime Ang and I will enjoy listening to the sweet little man with the cute voice belt out worship songs at random times, in random places and all the while marinate in the theology he can’t grasp yet (nor can we) but will serve him well all his years.

John, keep playing those drums, you’ve got another big fan.

No comments: