Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Better Half


Currently listening to Made For You by One Republic

We were talking around the office today about how incredible and under appreciated our wives are. I have said for years that the most impressive, capable and worth knowing Gilchrist is my wife. I don't mean that as disrespect for my kids, you should meet them too!

I realized this once again a few months back when I watched the kids for a weekend while Ang was gone. At the end of the weekend I felt like I deserved a Emmy for getting the kids to school and church, feeding them meals, attempting to bathe them and providing food for them that didn't come out of a microwaveable tray. I remember coming back to work on that following Monday and feeling like there should be a special assembly in my honor that distinguished me above all other inferior men in the office who watched football, played video games and slept while their wives did everything.

The fact is my wife is amazing. My wife would suck without her. Our home "runs" because of her. While I'm off eating at some Diners, Drive Ins and Dives location she is busy caring for Carter and Brynn and giving of herself to make sure they are happy. And I don't thank her enough. She's creative, articulate, opinionated, insightful, passionate, dedicated, determined and as capable as anyone I know.

Truth is, she gives me the best advice. She's rarely wrong and reads people, situations and concerns quicker and better than I ever will. Some of the guys I work with even now ask me, "Did you ask Ang? What did she say about it?"

So to my amazing wife: Words on a screen don't do you justice for what you mean to me. I probably have no idea how amazing you really are and all the things you do to bless me. If I started today, I couldn't ever catch up to being for you everything you are for me. Maybe every once in a while I need to give you a weekend away so I can be reminded with how empty my life would be without you. Maybe someday we can open that restaurant together we've always dreamed about.

No comments: