Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Desire


Currently listening to Kings and Queens by 30 Seconds to Mars

I talked today with a pastor who is trying to figure out their next step in life.

To say the least, there is a lot packed in that sentence. Especially when you consider that any decision we make regarding ministry, location and co workers has a lot of implications. As a person who has moved a time or two, those situations are difficult to say the least.

It seems like people are always looking at "what's next" for them. I think this is good but dangerous. I speak from personal experience as there seemed to always be times in my life where I was looking at what I would do next. Somehow I might even love what I'm doing right now but still be curious about the next stage in life.

What I am being taught is that what's next and what's right now can be the same thing: faithfulness.

I heard Louie Giglio quote Thomas Merton a while back, "Your life is shaped by the end you live for." I like that thought quite a bit. I think what we look towards needs to be eternal and not earthly. Period.

So enough about bigger jobs, higher pay, cooler locations and more about developing who we are to look more like Him so that no matter what we are doing its the right thing. I say that because the only common denominator in all our jobs, all our locations is us. New places don't fix gaps in our character, it just masks them for a while.

Maybe the words of Thomas Merton about desire sum this up best: "Your life is shaped by the end you live for. You are made in the image of what you desire."

1 comment:

ret said...

Did I know you were still blogging and had a brain lapse, or did you resume in stealth mode and I just missed it? Either way, it made my night to find it (or find it again)...color me a fan..