Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Jad and Kal


Currently listening to With Everything by Hillsong

It's the 9th of September. A few months ago the 9th was just another day on the calendar. Depending on what I was doing, it might be a significant day or it might be just another day at the office.

A few months ago the 9th of any month became special, even sacred.

Ang and I have some friends who we love a great deal who are pregnant. This amazing time in their lives has turned into a bit more than they had planned on when they discovered that the twins boys were actually conjoined. Despite the doctors best efforts to discuss things like termination, John and Shawna have stood up, for the Glory of God.

Stood up sounds too soft, too weak. They have demonstrated a faith and a strength that is unbelievable. I've always enjoyed these two, I have always admired their strength and unashamed worship for the Father. But the worship they demonstrate these days is different.

You hear it in their voices, you see it in their actions, you sense it in their presence. They are inspiring people, regardless of the outcome, demonstrating just what it looks like to walk by faith and not by sight.

On the 9th of each month, Ang, Carter and I join dozens of others who fast all throughout the month for this wonderful family of 4. This day has found me in 4 different cities doing a variety of things but we each find a way to fast and pray for this couple and their wonderful kids. When we first approached Carter with the idea, he said, "I will fast for more than a day if it helps the boys be healthy."

Years ago Carter was in John and Shawna's wedding. I had the honor of helping to marry this couple and watching my son in his little tux look up at John and Shawna that day and I realized he was learning something about love, purity and what it means to follow hard after God. Of course he has always looked up to them, especially John because he's a drummer and what little boy doesn't want to be a drummer!?

A couple years back I had the privledge of being a part of John's ordination into ministry. I went back and found my notes for what I said to him that night, buried in my moleskine I carry with me everywhere. I shared 3 verses that night but its what I closed with that comes back to me now.

At the very end of my message to both John and our friend Tyler I asked them to pour their lives into my son Carter. If my impact on them had meant anything, if they could, would they pass who they were as men of God into the life of my little boy.

And then I closed with this passage from Psalm 17:5.

"My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not slipped."

These words are true of you. May they always be so.

My friends, your journey is long and it is just beginning. Please know we are walking with you and we love you. Thank you for what you have taught me. Thank you for what you have modeled for the church. ...for the Glory of God...

To find out more about John and Shawna and to join their journey check out: "...for the Glory of God..." on Facebook.

1 comment:

ret said...

Gil. That is just beautiful. Thank you so much...you must know how blessed my life has been for the short portion of time we walked it daily together; how blessed I feel for the ordained years you were able to pour and invest into not only my baby girl, but also my son-in-law. To know that you're investing already in the lives of my grandsons, is a blessing I didn't realize fully until I began writing this. I am so very proud of you. And so thankful you are in my world, if not in my zipcode. You are quite the piece of pottery my friend...keep yielding to his hands...