Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Lead or Confront

Currently Listening to: Fences by Phoenix

I grew up hating confrontation. I inherited this from my upbringing. It turned my stomach and I found any way possible, even living with decisions I hated to avoid it.

Then something happened.

These days I don't get out of bed praying it gets to occur but I've come to realize that when done right (still learning this part), its way easier than the frustration I lived with by avoiding it and it makes life much, much better.

I have also discovered that meeting a problem early on is easier than waiting until it becomes an enormous issue. I know, right? Who thought?!

I was sitting in a meeting a while back when the reality struck me that as leaders of people, we have a choice between leadership and confrontation. What I realized is that by leading well, people know what to expect and we are able to guide and interact with them in such a way that confrontation is rarely necessary. If we choose to be lax on our leadership up front, we are defaulting to the reality of confrontation. Whether its over missed expectations, wrong results or miscommunication, if we don't lead, we'll have to confront.

Or you can choose the method I lived with for years of being stuck in frustration and doing nothing about it. I don't recommend that approach if you're asking.

No comments: