Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

Tracing


Currently Listening to: Tracing by John Mayer

It's my favorite John Mayer song. It's my least favorite thing to do when coloring. Tracing.

Everybody in my family colors differently. We might all start with the same supplies and even the same picture but when we are done, they all reflect our personality and skill. Or in my case, lack there of.

I've thought about how this applies to us as believers a number of times and if you'll indulge me, I have a thought.

What if we are all different because we're supposed to use who we are to color our picture they way God made us? Now stick with me, I'm not saying faith is open to interpretation and we should all go off in the wilderness and hug trees.

The way I see it, the picture is exactly the same. It is constant. It doesn't change. The way it turns out can be different.

It's God's picture and He has entrusted us to bring flavor and color to it. It was not meant to sit there plain. Call me a heretic but I think the method changes. Call me a heretic but I think the message can change too. I'm not saying scripture has changed its meaning, I'm saying how we bring it to light can change a persons perspective. Why else could you hear 4 sermons on the same passage from 4 different people that all emphasize something different and all of them are truth and all of them teach you something different?

Let's say the picture is God, faith, hope. The way we color it is how we, as the church, bring it to life.

Maybe I'm stretching things a bit but I have a questionthat deserves an answer:

How are you bringing God's picture to life?

**Artwork used by permission from Brynn Gilchrist

1 comment:

ret said...

did Brynn really give her permission?? :)