Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Lessons from a date


Currently Listening to The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.

This morning Brynn and I went on a date. We shared an iced coffee, well truth is one of us hogged most of it, and some other delicious goodies. I snapped this picture of her and then we dug into a great conversation which included Brynn letting me know that she loves girls singers such as Justin Bieber. Along the way I learned/relearned a few things.

1. Slow Down
In my desire to eat and get moving, I miss out on the joy that a meal conversation can be. Our family eats meals together every night because it matters. There is nothing on TV that is more important that our conversation. But there are times when I'm grabbing a meal where I miss out on learning from those I'm hanging out with.

2. Live Loud
Brynn doesn't really have a volume button. I'm learning that's okay sometimes. Her joy for life, her passion for telling stories makes me happy and for most of the elderly folks around us the same was true. Is it mean to assume that most of them couldn't hear her anyway? Brynn loves to talk and loves to eat the good stuff first. In this case it was the hash browns because they were a lot like french fries. I also love how she eats the middle of her food first. I seem to save it for last even though it makes sense to enjoy it. As a life principle, maybe enjoying the good stuff first isn't such a bad plan.

3. Ask Questions
Want to learn? Ask questions. Somewhere after we turn 4 or 5 we seem to be less inquisitive. Though this might be nice for our parents who are tired of answering why questions 2500 times a day, the downside is we start to think we have things figured out.

I learned a lot more this morning too. Like how lucky I am to have her in my life. That God was gracious enough to give me not just an amazing wife but a daughter who is a lot like her as well. That sharing a pile of ketchup can be pretty fun and that as much fun as we had is a rare joy that can pass me by too quickly if I'm not careful.

2 comments:

ret said...

Loved your closing sentence... Brynn is darling..

ret said...

Loved your closing sentence... Brynn is darling..