Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Towers of Babble


Thanks to a recommendation from my boss I'm reading a pretty interesting book with a pretty unfascinating title, Salsa, Soul and Spirit. It's actually a leadership book though some of you were probably convinced I was learning to dance.

Sorry to disappoint.

For those of you still reading, the book contains a powerful quote from MLK Jr. that has prompted some thoughts in my head. "We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service and relationship to humanity."

This is not an anti-establishment post. Nor is it a post that says something dumb like big=evil or if you are successful you must have compromised. I think that's petty excuses lazy people make to justify the fact that everything they are doing isn't accomplishing much. Did that sound harsh?

At the end of the day, this serves as a good reminder for me is not what I have done for me, it's what have I done for we. I don't want to live in such a way that I'm out of touch with others, with my neighbors or with the needs of others (and myself).

Somewhere in there whether we've intenionally developed one or not, we have a philosophy on justice, social responsibility and the sacredness of life that is guiding what we do. What makes us great isn't our got but our give.

No comments: