Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

And The Hardest Part Was Letting Go and Not Taking Part

I have a love hate relationship with the radio. Have you ever noticed there are times when it seems as though every song is a favorite? Or that there are times when every new song seems amazing and you can bounce from station to station listening to so much amazing stuff that ends up being a part of your musical library at some point? And then there are times when everything sucks. Like every country song is playing Honkytonk Badonkadonk and every other station is playing Nelly or Fall Out Boy every 5 minutes. That or Mariah Carey splitting my eardrums and shattering windows across town.

The same thing happens with movies. They have a couple key times when the release stuff like summer and then of course Christmas. Like, that's the best time becuase all year long you see cool preview after cool preview and they all say "Coming Christmas 200?". Then there are times when like at Christmas every preview is for mind insulting crap like Tim Allen being a dog and basically anything with Nicole Kidman or Tom Cruise in it. Ironic they were married isn't it?

Well, if you haven't noticed, this is a bad time for radio and as I was desperately trying to find something to listen to on my way home yesterday (finally ending up in AM on ESPN radio again) it got me to thinking. I think this cyclical thing happens in business and church as well. I know some of it is because certain situations are perfect for bringing big things out of people and sometimes a certain cinergy is created by a group and it is a real sweet spot and things are amazing but these things don't last forever.

I know I can look back at my short lifetime and recognize moments where there was nothing but Top 40 hits happening and the people I worked with and the situations I was in were just incredible. There were also times when I felt like everything was a rerun of a tired old Kelly Clarkson song ( or another lame collaboration by Kanye and Foxx).

The encouragement is to enjoy the moments it is incredible and realize that those "songs" and times are incredible and we should look back with fond memories. It's also to look at the moments we're in and realize there's a reason and they are rarely as bad in the rearview mirror as they were as we dealt with them through the windshild of life.

Change is inevitable and it seems like no matter where I have been or what I have done God has given me incredible traveling partners. Some I wish were still here, some our time seemed too short but it was good nonetheless. A traveling partner of mine will make a transition soon and that is a real downer but yet at this moment I know its been great while it lasted and I'll always look at this time as one when every station I hit was a good one. The incredible thing now is that the songs will still be good, just some new ones that I'll have to aquaint myself with.

Here's to enjoying what's on the screen and not longing for previews. And here's to enjoying a little Coldplay along the way.

1 comment:

BJ said...

Coldplay may be the redeeming factor of Britain. Although James Blunt did outsell Coldplay in Britain over the past few months. So maybe there are two redeeming factors to England. Three if you count authentic fish 'n chips in a pub.