Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Head For The Hills, The Kitchens On Fire

Mmmmmm.......Monday.

I've got a few things I think you should hear. None of them have eternal ramifications though not much of anything I say usually does.

1. The Olympics. I think the winter olympics are magical. I think its partially because I could never do almost any of those things. Granted, I can do nothing at an olympic level but at least some of the summer games events I can "do" such as basketball, baseball, running (okay, maybe not) but you get the idea. But winter, oh, winter. I've skiied (how the heck do you spell it?) once. I sucked. I bailed and it took every ounce of determination to not fall in such a way not to injure a small child who merely moved around me with ease. Much like when I ice skated. Those little demon children are whipping in between your legs while I try to make a basic corner only to go so wide I end up on the wall...again. And luge, who the heck thinks that's a fun idea? I don't have the abs to last 10 seconds on that bad boy.Of course some 54 year old woman can do it...oh this is not going well for me. But I really have 2 things to say about the Olympics.
a. Ski jumping is the greatest event ever. That stuff is amazing. Those guys may not be athletic or even real men ( 5'8" 108 lbs????) but they are fearless...and stupid..and incredible. I could watch that all day.
b. Somebody send Bode and Kwan and Apollo back to the US before they ruin the Olympics. They are what is wrong with most other sports and they are threatening to poison the winter games. The beauty of this sport is nobodies--the dudes from Home Depot in town who are representing our country, crying because they're achieving a lifelong dream and not because their new H2 got its first scratch. I'm glad Kwan is out--she was a joke anyway and Bode, your arrogance got the best of you. Apollo, that's what greed and probably not deserving the gold last time gets you. Here's to the flying Tomato and some dude who 5 years ago was sitting in Vegas and decided he should be a speed skater. Here's to those who won't win a medal and still will have the time of their lives, who's stories inspire us and who weeks from now will slip back into anonymity and be just fine with it.

2. Spiritual Warfare--dude this stuff freaks me out. All I'm going to say is there is so much going on that we don't notice and that scares me. Here's to keeping our eyes open and our hearts in the right place.

3. Flames of Heaven. If you have a computer you should check out Rob Bell's sermon on The Flames of Heaven. The series is great, part 3 is my favorite though I haven't listened to 4 yet.

4. The past. Oh to be wise enough to be able to look back and see why. I'm grateful for friends who open my eyes, for experiences I'd never trade and for bridges that have been strong enough to bear the weight I've put on them. I'm amazed at second chances, at rescues and at moments that define our lives.
I relived a bunch of memories while at the old alma mater. None were funnier than dozens of chicken bones in the ceiling tiles discovered many years later. Ahh the things we do as seniors...not that I knew anything about that. Or participated. Or thought it was funny.

And finally, Pizza Hut had a crappy lunch buffet today. Time with the family was priceless but its sad when the salad bar was the best part.

1 comment:

ret said...

will slip back into anonymity and be just fine with it.


liked that.