Some things that strike me as worth sharing. Most of the time at least.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Work Mode

I've never been a great multi tasker. I used to fancy myself one but I'm beginning to realize as I get older that it's not a gift of mine. I struggle to drive and listen to the radio simultaneously let alone juggle anything of consequence at the same time.

I've noticed this summer that I'm pretty intense. Yeah, I guess there are times I'm crabby. I don't like to think so but I realize that I have a hard time being me and disconnecting from events long enough to really enjoy some of the time I have. There have been moments for good conversations but there are also so many moments already that I look back on and wish I had back.

Moments with family, moments with friends, moments with interns. Just moments, moments I wish I could soak up more and not attempt to prepare for something next. I had a great talk with a youth ministry buddy last week and we lamented the fact that there aren't enough people doing youth ministry who are truly relational, who care more about people and pulling something off. I walked away from the conversation smug that I was one of those relational guys and yet the more I think about it the more I realize I've not been that guy.

I've blamed it on things like being tired or old or needing sleep because of the day ahead and yet there are moments that I think I run through or to things and miss what's in front of me. I've noticed the longer the summer goes along that there are less moments I see something happening and more moments I'm trying to figure out what will happen next. That's unfortunate.

On one hand I love planning ahead and there are a lot of details for NEXT summer already prepared. That's important for what we do I know but for so long I've talked about this summer and what will happen and now we're at the midway point and it's gone so quickly I've already got a regret or two.

So here's to soaking up the minute. Here's to not blowing opportunities from now on. And here's to my wonderful family who loves me and lives through those moments. I love them and miss them and am beyond grateful for them. And here's to getting everything out of tomorrow.

1 comment:

Angie said...

We miss you too!! We think about you and talk about you lots.. Carter is telling everybody that his Dad drives a big red truck!! Thanks for a good week last week!!
Love you!!